Thrice The Brinded Cat
The Bluecrater Acadamy
One of the tallest buildings in Cauldron, Bluecrater Academy in the Southwest Quadrant of the city is also the primary place of learning here. The building has stories, each of which is dedicated to an increased level of education. It also has a number of towers, each dedicated to a particular school of magic.
Financed partially by tuition fees, but also by the support of nobles like Lady Ophellha Knowlern, the Aslaxins and the Taskerhills, Bluecrater Academy is where the lucky youth of Cauldron go to learn skills in arcane magic. The upper stories of the building include extensive libraries and laboratories, but membership fees are steep – 2000 gold coin.
The Moonhowlers have had some experience with the Academy. Kenric took basic arcane studies under his tutor Sasha Kronovavik. Also, Kenric, Sasha and Smoke took a little visit to the Academy in order to visit Maximillian Weer’s ruined bedroom and study.
There are nine colleges with the Blue Crater Academy: Abjuration, Conjuration, Divination, Enchantment, Evocation, Illusion, Necromancy, Transmutation and Universality. The structure of the Academy has a much larger interior than exterior due to healthy contributions over the centuries by the esteemed College of Conjuration. It’s main Hall primarily is comprised of a Grand Reception, the Auditorium, The Universal Library, the kitchens, servants quarters, The Concessional, and various classrooms devoted to Alchemy and laboratories for general magic item creation. This area is open to all members and certain areas are open to special guests of the Academy.
The Academy is currently headed by Arch-Chancellor Geoffory Windgate (AKA Grand Pu-bah, Captain Blowhard Fuzzy Navel).
Most of the day-to-day work is handled by Bursar Magrie Valentor and her Office of Magisters.
Each College is headed by a Canon:
- Abjuration: Canon Althalos Runedald
- Conjuration: Canon Ayleth of Kingfisher
- Divination: Canon Catrain Signory
- E nchantment:Canon Thomas the Bald
- Evocation: Canon Mispwich
- Ilusion: Canon Cheviot Le Spignot
- Necromancy: Canon Treeth Lundel
- Transmutation:Canon Marson Moor
- Universality:Canon Joe Chaste
There are several Philosophies within each College, such as the Philosophic of Destructive Energies within the College of Evocation. There are more than can be listed and the change quite often, in addition, each College often protects their Philosophies quite jealously and rarely shares their finding with the other Colleges unless to boast during the extravagant Grande Lectures which occur every six months, or so. Each Philosophy has a Hall within the College and is managed by a committee headed by an elected Proctor.
New members can generally advance to higher positions and gain titles within the Academy by first attending lectures, aiding researchers, joining committees, joining Colleges, writing papers, inventing new spells, arcane procedures or new magical items.
Members of Bluecrater gain a number of benefits:
- Upon attaining a new caster level, Wizards can select one additional spell to add to their spell books.
- Wizard spells can also be gained by trading spells with other wizards, but this is difficult. For each full day spent within the halls of Bluecrater, a member can make a DC 25 + spell level Diplomacy check. Success means they have been allowed access to another wizard’s spell book in order to copy one spell (rules in PHB apply for copying spells.)
- Spells can also be researched, requiring one week of study at the Academy per level of the spell. At the end of this time, a successful Spellcraft check (DC 20+spell level) is needed to learn that spell. Failure by 4 or less will allow another check after one more week of study, failure by 5 or more means the research is ruined but can be attempted again after the wizard has gained another spell level. The DC is reduced by 2 if the wizard has access to the College Library dedicated to that spell’s particular arcane school.
- Access to the Academy libraries allows a +6 circumstance bonus to knowledge checks after at least 4 hours of study.
Other benefits may be available to specialists who are accepted into one of the Colleges or to those who attain certain titles or positions within the Academy.